Tasting - Larkspur Pinot Gris

 
Wine Label

Me With Bottle

Name: Larkspur Pinot Gris
Varietal: Pinot Gris
Region: Oregon
Country: United States
Year: 2020
Price: $11.69

Tasting Notes from Larkspur:
"Expressive aromatics of pineapple and honey suckle lead to floral flavors of green apple and juicy melon on the palate. This beautiful Oregon Pinot Gris is balanced with lively acidity that leads to a refreshing finish."
Source: https://www.larkspurwine.com/

Wine Folly Notes - p. 149
  • White peach, lemon zest, cantaloupe, raw almond, crushed gravel
  • Pink grape mutation of Pinot Noir
  • Zesty, ranging from dry to sweet
  • High acidity
  • Medium alcohol
  • Small body, very low tannins
My Review:

This was a weird wine. I would describe its aroma as pungent, not the usual sweet fruitiness of other white wines. I chalk it up to some floral smell because I do not know of any fruit that is on the rank side of the aromatic spectrum. It had a taste of sour green apple. I could not detect much under the sour acidity. It was less dry and smaller in body than the Pinot Grigio I also tasted this week. It was also a lot less crisp than the Grigio. Instead of an engaging, puckering acidity, it just kind of sat in my mouth. I am not going to say it is objectively bad, but it is definitely not my favorite.


Comments