Dinner - Sautéed Broccoli, White Wine Pasta, Pepperoni Pizza

From left to right: Me and Bob

For our second wine dinner, my roommate Bob and I decided to go with an Italian spread, with sautéed broccoli paired with Chardonnay, white wine pasta paired with the Sauvignon Blanc we used to cook the pasta, and a pepperoni pizza paired with a Chianti.


Garlic Sautéed Broccoli


Name: Kendall-Jackson Avant Unoaked Chardonnay
Variety: Chardonnay
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2020

My review on its own: 

On its own, this Chardonnay had the usual apple taste, but it was buttery instead of crisp. It also did not have much acidity.

My review with broccoli:

The sweetness of the apple in the Chardonnay and the bitterness of the charred broccoli canceled out, leaving an overwhelming garlic taste. As someone who likes garlic, this resulted in a pretty good pairing.


White Wine Pasta


Name: Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: Marlborough
Country: New Zealand
Year: 2021

My review on its own:

This wine did not have much of a flavor in both aroma and taste. It had the usual white wine apple smell, but not much more than that. In taste, it was very acidic, especially the aftertaste. It was also pretty dry for a white wine.

My review with pasta:

The pasta brought down the intensity of the acid and nullified the dryness. There still was not much of a fruit flavor with this pairing. The wine worked very well to cook the pasta in, and the pasta by itself was excellent. I am just more used to wines that have some kind of flavor along with their body and other characteristics.




Name: Coeli Aula Chianti
Variety: Chianti
Region: Florence
Country: Italy
Year: 2020

My review on its own:

This wine had a raspberry and earthy aroma that was not piercing like other red wines. This was perhaps the driest red wine I have ever had. I could get a little bit of berry taste, but it was hard to discern through the overpowering dryness.

My review with pizza:

The pizza made the Chianti much less dry, allowing me to enjoy the berry and earthy flavors without the overpowering dryness. I can tell from this tasting that this wine, being from the Old World, was most likely made to go with food, making this a good pairing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tasting - Larkspur Pinot Gris